|Spring 2002||Volume XVII, No. 2|
Editor: Robert M. Joven, MLS Information & Education Services Ext. 8493 E-mail - email@example.com
WEB WATCHER: COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
by Kathleen Crea, MLS, 6th Year, AHIP - Information & Education Services Librarian
Want to check out the most-current news in science or find out "what's hot in the field of XYZ" from your desktop? Curious about what your research colleagues (or competitors) in bioscience and academia are working on this year? Need to know who has current funded research (and for how much)? Use these sources to check out what your competition is doing!
· Community of Science (COS) is a unique, wide-ranging E-tool for sharing expertise among individual researchers and academic institutions in the U.S. COS provides a directory of faculty or research staff (including CVs and contact information), lists of funded research in progress, access to databases such as MEDLINE or AGRICOLA, U.S. patents, and a searchable index of non-profit funding opportunities. COS can be searched at: http://www.cos.com/
· A site called "The Scientist" has put up a Hot Papers Archive, updated twice a month with coverage starting in 1999, at: http://www.the-scientist.com/hotpapersarchive.htm.
· Institute for Scientific Information (ISI), the publisher of Science Citation Index, Web of Science and other reliable sci-tech literature analysis tools, offers two valuable "current awareness" pages for research scientists:
· BIOMEDNET, a free gateway site for those in biomedicine, is owned by Elsevier Science and currently claims to have 1,018,062 subscribers worldwide, from: http://www.bmn.com/
· CRISP (Computer Retrieval of Information on Scientific Projects) is a searchable database of research projects funded by NIH. There is no charge to access CRISP data, from http://crisp.cit.nih.gov/
· Corporate Business Sources:
Copyright 1998 - 2003. All Rights Reserved.
Lyman Maynard Stowe Library at the University of Connecticut Health Center
263 Farmington Ave. P.O. Box 4003
Farmington, Connecticut 06034-4003
The URL for this page is: http://library.uchc.edu/libpub/spring02/webwatch.html
Last Updated: February 26, 2008